GAISF General Assembly 16.05.03 Madrid
1st June 2003 - Number 104
37° GAISF GENERAL ASSEMBLY, MADRID, 16 MAY 2003
GAISF held its 37th Statutory General Assembly on Friday, May 16 at the Palacio de Congresos in Madrid (ESP).
GAISF President Dr Un Yong Kim opened the Assembly and welcomed Dr Jacques Rogge, President of the International Olympic Committee, Mr Juan Antonio Samaranch, IOC Honorary President for Life, and the Members of the IOC Executive Board present.
Dr Kim was honoured to present the first GAISF Award to Mr Samaranch in recognition of his work and dedication to the progress of the Olympic Movement and the development of sport in the world.
The GAISF Awards will be presented every year on the occasion of the General Assembly to persons nominated by the International Federations for their contribution towards sport.
Amongst others, the General Assembly made the following decisions:
- The Assembly voted the acceptance of the International Federation of American Football as Provisional Member of GAISF, thereby bringing the total number of member International Sports Federations and Organisations to 99.
- Four Provisional Members were granted the status of Full Membership – the “Fédération Mondiale du Jeu de Dames” (Draughts), the World Bridge Federation, the World Minigolfsport Federation and the International Fistball Federation.
- Mr Hein Verbruggen, GAISF Vice-President, announced that the next International Sports Convention would take place in Lausanne (SUI), dates to be confirmed.
- The EU Treaty Article on Sport was adopted by the General Assembly.
- The Assembly agreed to a statement made in support of the governments and medical authorities in their fight against the SARS epidemic with the objective of resuming the normal running of the IFs’ competitions as quickly as possible.
- The progress of the GAISF project with regard to sending sports equipment to countries for development and competition was reported to the General Assembly. New steps will be taken for the continued development of this venture.
- Reports were made by the organising committees of the summer Olympic Games 2004 in Athens (GRE), the winter Olympic Games 2006 in Turin (ITA), the World Games 2005 in Duisburg (GER) and the Commonwealth Games 2006 in Melbourne (AUS).
- A brief summary was also made on the progress of preparations for the summer Universiade in Daegu (KOR) in August this year, and the Universiades in Innsbruck (AUT) and Izmir (TUR) in 2005.
Quelle: GAISF Newsletter (www.gaisf.org)